Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tough start (Day -10 and Day -9)


Well I wish I could say it’s been a smooth start to things, but unfortunately I can’t.

Max had a bad night on Thursday. He was awake every hour until 3am – when he decided that was enough of sleeping (which meant neither of us slept from then on). So we were both already worn out to start off Friday’s events.

Chemo started on Friday morning. The first lot are somewhat milder drugs given in tablet form – but given Max’s age they are dissolved and mixed with flavoured syrup. The first dose wasn’t taken too well by Max so it was decide that a Nasal Gastric Tube should be inserted. This is a long tube that goes in the nose, down the back of his throat and down to the stomach. In a way it’s great to have been done, as all of Max’s oral med’s can now be given through this tube “Mr Nose” – so original with my naming of these things aren’t I?

The process of inserting this line was a horrible experience however. They gave Max some Midazolam (happy drug) but he still screamed throughout and had to be held down by four of us. Such a heart wrenching thing to have to do to your child – I just hope he won’t remember any of these nasty things that are happening to him.

Not long after the tube was inserted, Max proceeded to vomit 4 times – each time completely soaking his bed or me. Still not sure if it was a super early reaction to the chemo, or whether it was due to him eating too soon after having the Midazolam for the tube insertion. Either way, it was great preparation for the next several weeks. One of the nurses gave me a good suggestion to keep in mind: whenever Max vomits we should hold firmly onto his nasal tube otherwise it is likely to be vomited out. And if that happens we would have to go through the whole process of inserting it again – NO THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! As a result, with even the slightest hint of a gag, I am super woman bounding over drip machines and power cords to hold onto that “Mr Nose”!

Needless to say Friday was an exhausting day, and I have to admit I really struggled. But that wasn’t the end of it. To top of this marvellous day, Tim called me after work claiming that his throat was really sore – and to cut a long story short, he has been prescribed antibiotics and advised not to be around us till at least Tuesday. Great! I’m already exhausted just 2 days in….what timing! Consequently, we arranged for my Mum to come in to support me today (Saturday) – so I was able to have a bit of a break (ie. have a shower and go to the toilet!). Thank you Mum (and Dad for driving her in). I Love you both enormously!! I should mention, there is a bathroom in our room, however this is ONLY for Max’s use. Luckily there are communal showers not too far away, so parents can refresh themselves and smell pretty!

Anyhow Tim has been able to arrange internet access for me so I am now able to continue with updates from our room T2. As I’m typing away, Max is now peacefully sleeping with his new police car, and amongst the continual beeps and boings from the machines…..and I plan to do the same! Goodnight all!

5 comments:

  1. Bee- I am so sorry to hear you guys had a rough start. I read where your husband talked about all the bad that can happen to the line and well,it happened to Ky yesterday, thus, another surgery to have a new one put in. His migrated out on the inside. Max is such a cutie. Im so glad he hasnt had any line problems. I really hope his nausea gets better and meds become easier for him. You guys are in my prayers! I can honestly say "I know how your feel" bc as Ive said before..we're in this together, just not together. We just have to rem that we have such sweet amazing little boys who are so strong and are going "Kick chemo's butt" as your husband put it :) You guys are always in my prayers! Lots of thought prayers and love. I really hope you get some rest when your mom comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To our beautiful nephew Max - we are so proud of you and we love you so much. You are an amazing little boy. Tim and Bee - we can't possibly understand what you are going through, but we love you both so much and we are in awe of your strength and courage during this time. Please remember we can be there for relief duty in a flash! Love you all so much, Jono, Karen, Griffin and Evie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bee,Tim Max der Starke, Mr Hose, and now Mr Nose,
    So sorry to hear about your rough day, night.I wish we could help with relief duties,just know that we love and miss you all.
    Love Aunty Debxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the rough start, too. Thanks, Bee, for listing your blog over on Kyler's so we can all keep up.
    Lots of prayers going out to all. I dropped off of facebook so I've lost track, but if I'm not mistaken Max and Ky have a bit of company, don't they? Devin in Pittsburgh and Vicky's boy in London and how many others (not to mention our GT warriors!) right at this time?
    I do so hope that all keeps going well for everybody, and all you parents stay healthy, too. Just keep remembering what's on the other side...a better tomorrow for the rest of their lives. (Both my nephews are doing great more than a decade after their transplants, both from the same non-sibling donor!)
    Godspeed, Max (and Bee and Tim).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Max, keep being strong, our hearts go out to you all as you go through this hard transplant. As we read your blog we can't help but remember our BMT only a year in a half ago. It is a long road, you all are so strong and it will only get easier as you defeat all this now!
    You are in our prayers!
    Hayden's mom, Kami Blatter

    ReplyDelete