Monday, February 22, 2010

We got the call!

The phone rang at 6pm last Thursday evening. As soon as I heard “it’s ….from the Royal Children’s Hospital” my heart sank…This was it…after more than 2 years of living in limbo, we were finally here!

I was told we had to be at the hospital by 9am Monday morning for a day of tests and discussions. On Thursday we will have a final meeting with the transplant team to discuss the test results, and on Friday Max is to have a small operation to insert his Hickman line.

After this call, I had a minor emotional episode…to be expected. Shortly after recovering from this, it dawned on me that the next day, Friday, was to be (…..for a while anyway) my last day at work ….another emotional episode eventuated. By the late evening I was totally drained.

We have such mixed feelings about the process: fear of the risks involved with the transplant, but excitement that if successful, our son will be free of this illness.

My maternal paranoia will no longer be justified……. .hmmm

Will update again on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment